Thursday, August 21, 2008

The Celebration after the Celebration

As part of getting ready for Dino's memorial on Sunday, I wanted to let you know that we're going to be having a feast after the memorial at Peachwood's which is near the Pasatiempo Golf Course in Santa Cruz - and you know that you're all invited. It will give us a chance to talk to so many of you that have responded to Dino's blog. My e-mails just topped 200 this morning and the stories are absolutely priceless.

We'll have an open mike there, so if you want to ramble at some length about our boy, you'll have the floor. Also, Marjorie Puruganan, one of Dean's co-workers at Sega is putting together a slide show. If you've got any pics you want to submit, e-mail them to Marj at marjorie.puruganan@gmail.com.

Getting to Peachwood's is easy - it's very near the Hwy 1/Hwy 17 interchange (we call it the Fishhook) and there will be maps at Pacific Gardens Chapel to assist everyone in getting there. Since the memorial's at 2PM, we should be heading over there by 3 or 3:30. Here's the address:

Peachwood's Steakhouse
555 Highway 17
Santa Cruz, CA
(831) 426-6333

Looking forward to our meeting. Love//Dick

PS: Dino's obituary was published in the Santa Cruz Sentinel today. If you'd like to read it and add a remembrance, go to www.santacruzsentinel.com.

5 comments:

VocalNurse said...

Dear Dick: We would like to offer a song during Dino's service...you'll see the email titled "a cappella..." in your overflowing inbox. Or, we could save it for afterwards...Anything we can do.
Love, Lisa

Allison Landa said...

Dick, I didn't know Dino personally. However, I heard his name plenty around the Nexus newsroom. Reading this blog helps me see his sense of humor and perspective -- something you two obviously share. Thank you for opening your heart and sharing your thoughts via this blog.

Calypso Dreams said...

I knew Dino when he was a little boy on the West Side and then later when he devoted so much of his time to Santa Cruz Little League. Our families go back generations, so it was with startled astonishment that I began receiving calls from his family members wanting to discuss Dino's tragic predicament and the horrifying prospects of being caught up in a medical system that often-- but not always--has little to do with health care and simply bows to the bottom line. But his family was strong and steady and I could feel the love around Dino's life. He was surrounded by love.

As someone who is a cancer survivor, and who is an ongoing battle with this grueling disease, I have a unique perspective on the process, of course, on what Dino went through, and also on life itself. Having very nearly died in the process, I was blessed with having seen the light on the other side, of knowing and understanding the eternal nature of life, and of love -- on this earth, in this universe, and beyond.

This I know: Dino's life is eternal; his body is now part of the Cosmos; and his spirit lives forever in our hearts.

Today would have been my brother's 55th birthday. He died shortly after he was born. There is an old Italian proverb that translates something like this: Some live long lives, some live short lives. It is brilliant in its simplicity. What it says is that we must live full lives, which has nothing to do with quantity but with quality. Dino lived a very full life. God bless. May we all be blessed with such love.

Geoffrey Dunn

Unknown said...

I played football with Dino in high school and he took over coaching the freshman team after me at SCHS. After high school, we occassionally would run into each other. Each meeting started with a happy and smiling greeting from Dino and then him sincerely asking about how my life was going. He was a great guy to talk to and I really enjoyed his humor, since we were both equal in our sassability. My sincerest sympathy to your family. I will be getting off a plane at 2pm in San Jose on Sunday and will be making a quick trek over to Pasatiempo to join everyone there. I wish I were able to make the service. See everyone at the Celebration part two.

Vic Doppee

Unknown said...

I have been trying to figure out flights that will make this work for me, but unfortunately I don't think I will be able to make the service. I will be thinking of Dino though and sending warm thoughts. Will also say a prayer for him at church tomorrow. Sweet Dino, you will be missed.